Community and Governmental Services
A sampling of possibly agency placements
- Adriance Memorial Library is the downtown branch of the Poughkeepsie Library system.
- Domestic Violence Services serves victims of abuse in a multitude of ways, from a hotline to counseling to advocacy. There is a mandatory 30-hour training session for new interns, which does not count against the required field work hours. In addition, there is a weekly supervisors meeting that interns are required to attend.
- Dutchess County Office for the Aging provides services and advocacy for area senior citizens. Interns may work on research projects, write for the newsletter, or serve as a general office assistant.
- Dutchess County Planning and Development Department is responsible for countywide planning, coordination of economic development activities, planning assistance to local governments, and comprehensive mapping and geographic information systems (GIS) data.
- Dutchess Outreach strives to meet the basic needs of low-income people when no other resources are available to them and to assist them in becoming self-sufficient. Services include serving meals and operating a food pantry.
- Family Services works to help families and individuals help themselves through direct services, collaboration, and advocacy. Field work interns assist with development, fundraising, event planning, personnel and a variety of central office projects and tasks.
- Grace Smith House provides shelter and apartments, advocacy, counseling, and education for victims of domestic abuse. Interns perform a variety of tasks, from manning hotlines to aiding with children to participating in counseling sessions. There is a mandatory training session for new interns.
- Planned Parenthood of Dutchess County provides comprehensive sexual health services as well as education and outreach programs.
- Rural and Migrant Ministry is an interfaith organization that works to honor and support the efforts of those who are disenfranchised, especially migrant farmworkers and the rural poor, as they seek greater self-determination